This axe is inspired by a small Danish style axe (Petersen Type M) from Sweden. It features a stout construction with a reinforced edge.
This axe is not an exact reproduction. The original is quite corroded, so I attempted to estimate the missing sections of the profile. I also made a small departure from the tilt of the blade to make the axe a bit more visually pleasing. In addition, rust swelling has made determining the original dimensions difficult. I thinned out the thickness to allow for the rust swelling. The resulting axe is still quite stout for its size. This is a viciously fast cutter!
The haft is cherry wood (Prunus) treated with linseed oil, and it has an octogonal cross-section. I tapered the haft so that there is a pleasing arc that starts out wide at the head then tapers to a thinner section before it swells gradually to the end of the haft.. The wood displays some beautiful figuring on both sides of the haft.
- Body and Eye: 1018 low carbon steel
- Edge Bit: 1080 high carbon steel
- Haft wood: Cherry (Prunus) treated with linseed oil
- Blade Length (toe to heel of bit): 5.25″ (13,33 cm)
- Axe Head Length (edge bit to poll): 6″ (15,24 cm)
- Haft Length: 32.25″ (81,62 cm)
- Overall length: 34.5″ (87,63 cm)
- Weight: 1.67 pounds (757.5 grams)
765 USD (includes US CONUS shipping) SOLD
If you are interested, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.